Friday, July 22, 2016

Universal Studios Singapore

On our second day in Singapore we took the kids to Universal Studios. Mason is still very interested in all things movie making (just bought himself a severed leg prop....because we all need one of those...). So movie things + roller coasters = tween heaven!

We pre-bought our tickets online prior to departing Fiji, so we were able to avoid that queue. We took a taxi over to Resorts World on Sentosa Island. This is a relatively new renovation on the island, the majority of it occurring in the last 10 years (Universal Studios Singapore opened in 2010). The sun was shining brightly while we waiting in the bag check/entry line. So Richard and the kids checked out some of the shops/stood in the shade while I held our place.

So I took a token selfie with the iconic Universal globe. Once in, both kids agreed they wanted to go to Far, Far Away (the Shrek themed area) so we headed towards that area. We did stop in Madagascar on the way and ride the merry go around.

As you can tell, it was a scorcher this day....just after 10 am and her cheeks are red from the heat (we applied sunscreen about 3x that day....nobody got sunburnt so that was apparently enough).

Once in Far, Far Away Clarissa rode her first junior roller coaster, the Enchanted Airways. We all rode on dragon's back. She had her head down the whole apparently she is not a fan (she doesn't like going high or fast on swings we were not totally surprised). Afterwards, we went to the castle. It was a 4D experience with phenomenal air con! We got sneezed on by donkey, spiders crawled up our legs, and got to soar on dragon's back.

Afterwards, in the gift shop you exit through you can ride a mini ferris wheel in the fairy godmother's magic potion factory, as well as, make some magic potion of your own to drink. It was cold and tasty! The boys went on the Puss in Boots ride while Clarissa and enjoyed our magic potions. Next up....

Somebody must of bumped Richard when he took this.....he cut off the "C".....the boys opted for another roller coaster, while Clarissa and I headed off to fly our own Pteranodon!

Given this wasn't the fastest or tallest ride, it had a very short queue! So Clarissa and I rode it 3 times while the boys were gone. Then she rode it again with Mason (see them in the second Pteranodon).

Afterwards we headed off for some lunch. We ate lunch in New York....nothing says New York like a slice of pizza.....afterwards while Mason was off washing his hands I saw a character meet and I hopped in line to meet Charlie Chaplin. I wasn't sure if he would know who he was. He did and was super excited to meet him. The guy playing Charlie was quite funny and did a great job staying in 'silent era' character. The couple before us, he directed the guy to face away and then snuck off with his girlfriend. We handed the photo lady our SLR camera.....which he knew is tough to focus when the subject moves close and far a lot. So he had us running up to the camera girl and back away 3-4 times until she gave him a 'cut it out' look so she could take a picture...Mason loved it!

A few minutes later, as we were heading towards "Lights, Camera, Action" Charlie was heading backstage....he stopped and danced with Mason for a second in the street.....he loved it!

So, as I was saying we were heading to "Lights, Camera, Action" hosted by STEVEN know the guy Mason dressed up as for Halloween a couple years back because that's his dream to see special effects on a sound stage narrated by his can bet we were going to that (twice!). Afterwards, Mason ran into Vin Diesel (well a wax one...not sure how he wasn't melting)....

Afterwards, the boys headed off to ride Battlestar: Galactica. This was the ride with the longest queue....over an hour for the human side and almost an hour and half for the cylon side. We picked a place to meet up for the Hollywood Dreams Parade (since Richard couldn't take a single thing on the ride I took everything with me in the backpack). Speaking of we were a bit disappointed, we had brought the GoPro with us having the intention of using it on some of the rides, but they have really cracked down and not only discourage any photography on all rides but on roller coasters they don't let you take any it was joy to lug that around all day and not be able to use it.

Clarissa and I headed back to Far, Far Away. As soon as we turned in. She saw Shrek and Fiona....we totally stalked them over to the onion carriage photo-op spot we had seen earlier. We got in line to get our picture with them. Even though we stood in line for about 10 minutes, she was still shy.....(she did see them later and gave them a high-5).

We headed back to the Shrek 4D adventure to enjoy the cool air. Afterwards, we got some BEN & JERRY'S ice cream!!!!! They had a limited selection of flavors....but still so good!! Yum! The boys found us at that point and we went and found a shaded spot for the parade. Since we were sitting and waiting, I hopped onto the park's free wifi.....I wanted to see how hot it 3:00 pm with the temperature and humidity the heat index was 108ºF!!  No wonder it felt as if our feet were melting to our shoes. Though both kids didn't understand why I insisted we go see the parade, they both loved it and said "take a picture" of everything that went here is a fraction of the highlights.

The penguins were kind enough to spray us with water.....

Mason and this Egyptian guy were having a staring contest....which he loved!

After the parade, Mason wanted to check out a gift shop in The Lost World. Clarissa and Richard headed over to the Pteranodon flyer again.

Afterwards, we headed to the last area we hadn't really explored, Ancient Egypt. The boys went on the Revenge of the Mummy roller coaster and Clarissa and I went on Treasure Hunters (the ole timey car ride). Unfortunately, our ride broke down while we were waiting so our wait took a lot longer....but eventually Clarissa drove a car!

She did real good at first, but then got distracted by the things to see (such as scarab beetles running around). Apparently, Revenge of the Mummy was not the hot ride of the day and Mason ended up riding it four times while waiting on us (a few more times later whenever we passed by it).

When then looped around a few more times and hit our favorite rides. As the it became evening, the park was quickly clearing out and queues were very short (on the Madagascar: Crate Adventure we even stayed in our boat as there was no one waiting to get on when came up to get off, so we went around again).  We happened up on the Madagascar Boogie.

Mason went and checked out Shrek's outhouse....apparently it stinks....

and Clarissa rode the Fairy Godmother's Potion Spin again.....

We then headed up to the group of gift shops up front and picked out things we never knew we had to have. Afterwards, we grabbed some dinner outside the park and picked up some Krispy Kreme donuts (because we could!). Before we could head back to the hotel, we had one more queue to stand in...the taxi queue....someone was going, going....

and gone......she was out like a light.....She had gotten so sweaty during the day at the park I still gave her a bath when we got back to the hotel around 10:00 PM and she pretty much slept through that too!

1 comment:

  1. That adventure sounds like an absolute kids dream come true!! Love your line about finding things that you never knew you needed to have :)